COLAND Online Seminar Introduction 2018
An international online seminar offered by a European partnership of universities and NGOs
For whom is this course?
- Are you an architect who cares about sustainable development?
- Are you an urban or landscape planner who wants to make planning and design more inclusive and strategic?
- Are you a geographer who wants to work with other disciplines on a globally relevant landscape challenge?
- Are you curious about other people and their knowledge?
- Are you eager to get to know other Europeans – academics like you but also citizens and their local issues?
- Do you believe in your capability to create something new?
Then join us in the CO-LAND online programme!
- Download the 2018 Course PPT Presentation
What is this course about?
A social entrepreneur applies business tools for solving social and/or environmental problems. Success in social entrepreneurship is primarily measured by degree of social impact, not only monetary profit.
Social entrepreneurs are essential for solving Europe’s economic, social, and environmental challenges. According to the Strasbourg Declaration of 2014, “Europe’s economic and social model needs to reinvent itself. We need growth that is fairer, greener and anchored in local communities. A model that values social cohesion as a genuine source of collective wealth.”
It is urgent that students and practitioners from different disciplines across Europe learn from each other to develop entrepreneurial skills and social awareness for a sustainable, local impact.
Social Entrepreneurship for Local Change is a programme offered by a 5-University Consortium in cooperation with relevant NGOs. The goal is to empower future social entrepreneurs through an interdisciplinary, problem-based learning environment that enhances the innovative competencies needed for addressing social, cultural and environmental challenges in Europe. The programme is funded by the ERASMUS* Programme in the period 2015 - 2018.
Social Entrepreneurship for Local Change includes twelve live sessions on the internet available to the wider global community, as well as interdisciplinary and international group work with students from Romania, Estonia, the Netherlands, and other European countries. The online course is open to anybody interested in the subject.
The programme also offers students the possibility to receive a grant to attend a 10-day workshop in Estonia, hosted by EMU Tartu from May 10 - 19, 2018.
The online module consists of twelve 90-minute sessions of lectures, reading materials, collaborative group work and other diverse active and passive learning tools.
The thematic elements of the course are designed to give students core knowledge for developing their own start-ups:
- Identifying challenges and setting goals
- Designing ideas
- Designing your business model
- Revising and evaluating your model
- Online lectures will take place from 20.03. – 03.05.2018, with two weekly sessions on Tuesdays and Thursdays from 16 00 – 17 30 pm CET.
- The intensive study programme in Estonia is scheduled for May 10 - 19, 2018
- Check the Course Schedule for more details
- Active participants will complete three assignments both individually and in their international team.
- The assignments are as follows:
- Identify and analyse a local challenge
- Field research on social entrepreneurship cases
- A business plan for a social enterprise
- More details on the assignments will be published soon.
Conditions for participation and credits
Participation in this course is open to all study programs and free of charge.
Academic recognition for successful completion will be as follows with a maximum of 7 ECTS:
- up to 5 ECTS for the online seminar (active participation)
- up to 7 ECTS for those who attend both the online course and the intensive programme
- Students need to seek individually for academic recognition at their respective universities
- there is usually at least one recognition opportunity at each university of the SELC partnership
Preconditions for attending the workshop in Estonia
Successful participation in the online part is a requirement for participating in the intensive programme in Estonia (EE). However, participation in the workshop is limited. Each participating university can offer seven grants, covering travel and subsistence, and a limited number may participate on a self-paid basis.
There is no set limit regarding the number of participants in the online course. Any interested student, graduate or young professional is invited to attend. All participants who successfully complete the assignment will be issued a certificate on behalf of the five academic institutions involved. Passive, listen-only participation in the online course is also possible, but no certificate will be issued for this participation mode.
Registration conditions and deadlines
Registration Online Seminar
Participation in the online seminar is free and open to students at any institution as well as the general public.
Participation is possible in active or passive mode.
Active participation includes:
- registration before 15th of March 2018 (closed now)
- regular attendance of the online class (or working with the seminar recordings in due time)
- completion of the seminar coursework and group assignments
- academic recognition of up to 5 ECTS
Passive participation includes:
- registration can be done any time, but preferably before the first session. Send an email to info(at)localchange.eu
- visitation of online seminar sessions either in real time or through video recordings;
- no academic recognition granted
Registration Estonia Workshop
Participation in the Estonia Workshop requires personal application. Only students enrolled at the partner universities are eligible.
Applications must include:
- A letter of intent explaining your motivation for participation in the workshop
- CV and current transcript of records
- English language certificate (if available)
- registration is closed now
- if you want to listen to the lectures passively, please send an email to info(at)localchange.eu
- Online lectures will take place from 20.03. – 03.05.2018, with two weekly sessions on Tuesdays and Thursdays from 16 00 – 17 30 pm CET
- Parallel group work in international teams
- 10.-19.05.2018 organised by EMU Tartu, Estonia, in the Lahemaa National Park.