COLAND Online Seminar Introduction 2019
An international online seminar offered by a European partnership of universities and NGOs
For whom is this course?
- Are you an architect who cares about sustainable development?
- Are you an urban or landscape planner who wants to make planning and design more inclusive and strategic?
- Are you a geographer who wants to work with other disciplines on a globally relevant landscape challenge?
- Are you curious about other people and their knowledge?
- Are you eager to get to know people from other places – academics like you but also citizens and their local issues?
- Do you believe in your capability to create something new?
Then join us in the CO-LAND online programme!
- Download the 2018 Course PPT Presentation
Goals of the CO-LAND Online Course
- In the light of the sensitive nature of coastal landscapes and their relevance to society, economy and the environment it is vital that planners and designers learn how to manage these territories in a sustainable way. CO-LAND Course participants will develop a profound understanding of the specific character of coastal landscapes. They will learn which driving forces are influencing the landscape system and which impact types are most relevant for planning and design responses. This includes the global and European dimension since coastal landscapes are receiving increased attention worldwide.
- Participants will further learn about various approaches to landscape assessment in order to specify the challenges and potentials of a coastal landscape. They will have the opportunity to define and test assessment models and derive relevant knowledge for planning and design.
- Different approaches to strategy building, planning and design in the context of coastal landscapes will be introduced in the last phase of the course. On this basis, the course participants will be able to draft a strategy and a master plan for a coastal area taking economic, ecological and social aspects and current policies into account.
- In addition to the subject specific knowledge and methods the CO-LAND course further aims to foster transversal skills at various levels. This includes above all the following: virtual team work and creative application of ICT tools for international cooperation, team building and democratic leadership, analytical thinking, intercultural communication and creativity.
- The CO-LAND course wants to equip a future generation of planners and designers with relevant knowledge, methods and skills in order to transform our societies for sustainability.
The online module consists of twelve 90-minute sessions of lectures, reading materials, collaborative group work and other diverse active and passive learning tools.
The thematic elements of the course are designed to give students core knowledge for developing integrated planning and design approaches for coastal landscapes.
- Understanding Coastal Landscapes
- Evaluation and Assessment for Coastal Landscapes
- Integrated Planning and Design for Coastal Landscapes
Please also visit our reading list for further information.
- Online lectures will take place from 23.03. – 15.06.2018, with weekly sessions on Fridays from 15 00 – 16 30 pm CET.
- The intensive study programme in Romania, Black Sea Region, is scheduled for September 16 - 25, 2018
- Check the Course Schedule for more details
Case Study Assignment
- As the participants advance through the three course phases they will work in parallel on a study on a coastal landscape of their own choice.
- They can conduct this study individually or in local teams. The team areas are accessible via the CO-LAND Working Groups page.
- The case studies will be documented with a case study template which is scaffolding this process.
- All along this process the individuals or local groups will collaborate with an international team. The interaction will consist of peer review, especially during phases 1 and 2, joint presentations and a joint planning and design process during phase 3.
- At the end of the seminar, the international teams will also reflect on their collaboration process and document their findings.
- In addition, there is a reading list for each session, participants are asked to study relevant materials in parallel to the course activities and add their theory reflections to the case study.
Conditions for participation and credits
Participation in this course is open to all spatial planning and design study programs and free of charge.
Academic recognition for successful completion will be as follows with a maximum of 8 ECTS:
- up to 5 ECTS for the online seminar (active participation)
- up to 8 ECTS for those who attend both the online course and the intensive programme
- Students need to seek individually for academic recognition at their respective universities
- there is usually at least one recognition opportunity at each university of the SELC partnership
Preconditions for attending the workshop in Romania
Successful participation in the online part is a requirement for participating in the intensive programme in Romania. However, participation in the workshop is limited. Each participating university can offer five grants, covering travel and subsistence, and a limited number may participate on a self-paid basis.
There is no set limit regarding the number of participants in the online course. Any interested student, graduate or young professional is invited to attend. All participants who successfully complete the assignment will be issued a certificate on behalf of the seven academic institutions involved. Passive, listen-only participation in the online course is also possible, but no certificate will be issued for this participation mode.
Registration conditions and deadlines
Registration Online Seminar
Participation in the online seminar is free and open to students at any institution as well as the general public.
Participation is possible in active or passive mode.
Active participation includes:
- registration before 18th of March 2018 (closed now)
- regular attendance of the online class (or working with the seminar recordings in due time)
- completion of the seminar coursework and group assignments
- academic recognition of up to 5 ECTS
Passive participation includes:
- registration can be done any time, but preferably before the first session.
- visitation of online seminar sessions either in real time or through video recordings;
- no academic recognition granted
Registration Romania Workshop
Participation in the Romania Workshop requires personal application. Only students enrolled at the partner universities are eligible.
Applications must include:
- Brief letter of motivation (max 1 page)
- Curriculum Vitae
- reference of language skills if available
Applications will be received until 15th of May 2018.
- Registration for active participation is closed now
- If you want to listen to the lectures passively, please register here
- Online lectures will take place from 23.03. – 15.06.2018, with weekly sessions on Fridays from 15 00 – 16 30 pm CET
- Parallel group work in local and international teams
Workshop in Mangalia, Romania
- 16.-25.09.2018 organised by Ovidius University, Constanta, in Mangalia, on the Romanian Black Sea Coast.