Reading List Coastal Landscapes
Jump to navigation Jump to search
- 1 Lecture Recordings and Session Slides
- 2 Literature on the Case Study Area in De Panne, Belgium
- 3 International Policy Documents, Guidance Reports + Frameworks
- 4 European Policy Documents, Guidance Reports + Frameworks
- 5 Green and Blue Infrastructure
- 6 Evaluation and Assessment
- 7 Integrated Planning and Design
- 8 Additional Reading
Lecture Recordings and Session Slides
- Find our 2020 lecture recordings on the COLAND ILIAS Repository (open access)
Literature on the Case Study Area in De Panne, Belgium
- Belgian National Adaptation Plan 2017-2020
- Flanders Regional Planning: The master plan of coastal safety: a wave of opportunities
- Flanders Marine Institute: The Compendium for Coast and Sea is an integrated document about the socio-economic, environmental and institutional aspects of the coast and the sea in Flanders and Belgium.
- Flanders: Tourism in Key Figures 2018
- Decleer, 2008: Ecological Restoration in Flanders
- De Ruyck, A.M.C., Ampe, C. & Langohr, R. J Coast Conserv (2001): Management of the belgian coast: Opinions and solutions
- Geldof, Charlotte and Zaman, Jan (2015) Some Futures for the Belgian Coast 2100, a Case Study of Research by Design on Regional Level. REAL CORP 2015. PLAN TOGETHER – RIGHT NOW – OVERALL. From Vision to Reality for Vibrant Cities and Regions. Proceedings of 20th International Conference on Urban Planning, Regional Development and Information Society. pp. 875-882.
- Augustyn, B. et al, 1995: Evolution of the dune ecosystem in Flanders during the Middle Ages: anthropogenic factors versus sea level change theory
- Eurosion Case Study De Haan, Belgium
- Metropolitaan Kustlandschap 2100, Interim and Reports
- Excursion map coastal dunes Westhoek, De Panne
- Viguier, Jocelyn: La gestion d'un littoral transfrontalier : Cas d'étude du Westhoek
International Policy Documents, Guidance Reports + Frameworks
- United Nations. Sustainable Development Goals (SDGs)
- UN HABITAT. New Urban Agenda
- UN HABITAT. International Guidelines on Urban and Territorial Planning
- UN HABITAT Guiding Principles for City Climate Action Planning
- UN HABITAT Planner for Climate Change
European Policy Documents, Guidance Reports + Frameworks
- Council of Europe The European Landscape Convention
EU Water and Marine Policy
- European Commission Water Framework Directive
- European Commission Marine Strategy Framework Directive
- European Commission Maritime Spatial Planning
- European Commission Maritime Spatial Planning European Strategy for more Growth and Jobs in Coastal and Maritime Tourism
- European Commission Integrated Coastal Management
EU Nature Protection Policy
- European Commission Natura 2000
- European Commission Communication on Green Infrastructure
- European Environment Agency Documents
EU Agricultural Policy
- European Commission The Future of the Common Agricultural Policy
EU Regional Development Policy
- European Commission Regional Policy in your Country
Green and Blue Infrastructure
Open Educational Resources
- Lecture recordings, slides, glossary and learning materials
- Language training with expert interviews
Green infrastructure case studies and policy directives in the European Union
- European Commission. Building a Green Infrastructure for Europe. Publication, 2013.
- European Commission.The Multifunctionality of Green Infrastructure. Directorate General Environment News Alert Service, March 2012.
- European Commission. Towards a Green Infrastructure for Europe: Developing New Concepts for the Integration of Natura 2000 Network Into a Broader Countryside. EC Study ENV.B.2/SER/2007/0076
Basic background on green infrastructure, guidelines for communities
- Landscape Institute. Green Infrastructure: An Integrated Approach to Land Use. Position statement, 2013.
- Landscape Institute. Green Infrastructure: Connected and Multifunctional Landscapes. Position statement, 2013.
- Landscape Institute. Local Green Infrastructure: Helping Communities Make the Most of Their Landscape. Position statement, 2011.
Evaluation and Assessment
- Burkhard, Benjamin & Maes, Joachim. (2017). Mapping Ecosystem Services
- MAES Report, Mapping and Assessment of Ecosystems and their Services
- European Commision. Environmental Impact Assessment of Projects- Guidance on the preparation of the Environmental Impact Assessment Report (2017)
- TEEB: Economics of Ecosystem and Biodiversity. The Economics of Ecosystem and Biodiversity
- A Framework for Geodesign: Changing Geography by Design by Carl Steinitz. Published Esri Pr. (July 2012). ISBN 1589483332 (ISBN13: 9781589483330)
- Mainstreaming ecosystem services into EU policy by Maes, et.al. Current Opinion in Environmental Sustainability. (March 2013)
- A spatial assessment of ecosystem services in Europe: Methods, case studies and policy analysis - phase 1 by Maes et. al. Published by Partnership for European Environmental Research
- What to Map? by Ralf-Uwe Syrbe, Matthias Schröter, Karsten Grunewald, Ulrich Walz and Benjamin Burkhard
- Guidelines for Landscape and Visual Impact Assessment (GLVIA), Third Edition. Published by By Landscape Institute, I.E.M.A. ISBN 9780415680042
Landscape Capacity Study
- Scottish Natural Heritage: nature.scot. Landscape Character Assessment (LCA)
- Scottish Natural Heritage: nature.scot. Guidance on Coastal Character Assessment July 2018
- Landscape and seascape character assessments. Published by Natural England and Department for Environment, Food & Rural Affairs on 2nd October 2014
- An Approach to Landscape Character Assessment by Christine Tudor, Natural England (October 2014)
- BEAT Tool. Bluehealth Environment Assessment Tool
Integrated Planning and Design
Spatial Planning and Strategic Planning
- European Regional spatial planning charter Torremolinos charter, Spain 1983
- The relationship between the relationship between planning and liberty (role of state). The Road to Serfdoom by Friedrich Hayek. Published by 1944 (Routledge Press, UK), 1944 (University of Chicago Press, US)
- Strategic Planning for Public and Nonprofit Organizations: A Guide to Strengthening and Sustaining Organizational Achievement by Bryson, John. Published by Jossey Bass; 3rd Edition (28 Oct. 2004). ISBN-10: 0787967556 ISBN-13: 978-0787967550
- Barcelona- The Urban Evolution of a Compact City by Joan Busquets. Published by ORO Editions/Applied Research & Design. ISBN: 9781940743059
- European Spatial Planning by Andreas Faludi. Published by Lincoln Institute of Land Policy in 2002.
- Planning in the Public Domain- from Knowledge to Action by John Friedmann. Published by Princeton University Press (October 1, 1987). ISBN-10: 0691022682 ISBN-13: 978-0691022680
- The Fall and Rise of Strategic Planning- Reconceiving Roles for Planning, Plans, Planners by Henry Mintzberg. Published January 31st 1994 by Free Press (first published 1993). ISBN 0029216052 (ISBN13: 9780029216057)
- Strategic Planning: What Every Manager Must Know by George Albert Steiner. Publishe by New York Free Press in 1979.
- Design with Nature by Ian L. McHarg. Published February 20th 1995 by Wiley (first published March 26th 1969). ISBN 047111460X (ISBN13: 9780471114604)
- The valley section from hills to sea by Patrick Geddes. New York City (United States), 1923.
- The Transect as a Method for Mapping and Narrating Water Landscapes: Humboldt’s Open Works and Transareal Travelling by Lisa Diedrich, Gini Lee, and Ellen Braae Published in 2014
- Rural to Urban Transects: Typologies. Rural-Urban Transects by Center for Applied Transect Studies
- Urban Acupuncture by Jaime Lerner. Published in 2014. E-Book format ISBN:9781610915847. Paperback format ISBN:9781610917278
- Biourban Acupuncture: Treasure Hill of Taipei to Artena by Marco Casagrande. Published in 2013 by International Society of Biourbanism. ISBN:9788890892318
- Public Space Acupuncture : Strategies and Interventions for Activating City Life by Helena Casanova & Jesús Hernández. Published in 2014 by Actar Publishers, New York. ISBN:0989331709 (pbk.), 9780989331708 (pbk.)
- Cowell R 2006 ‘Environmental limits and the pursuit of a sustainable city’, in A Hooper and J Punter (eds.) Capital Cardiff 1975-2020: Regeneration, Competitiveness and the Urban Environment, University of Wales Press, pp.219-237.
- Cowell R and Bishop K 2006 ‘Cardiff’s countryside and its future’, in A Hooper and J Punter (eds.) Capital Cardiff 1975-2020: Regeneration, Competitiveness and the Urban Environment, University of Wales Press, pp.265-281.
- Cowell R 2002 ‘Substitution and Scalar Politics: Negotiating Environmental Compensation in Cardiff Bay’ Geoforum 34, 343-358
- Cowell R and Thomas H 2002 ‘Managing nature and narratives of dispossession: reclaiming territory in Cardiff Bay’ Urban Studies 39(7), 1241-1260