>>>back to working groups overview
|Topics||tourism and ecosystem|
Red reef is a beautiful landscape of Qingdao coastline，this special landscape just produce in HuiQuan Bay.However, due to the excessive development of the tourism industry, the ecological environment of the Red Rock has been severely damaged.
Location and scope
You can edit this map with the map editor
A Landscape System Analysis
A.1 Landscape layers and their system context
Geomorphology, landscape units and coastal typology
The Huiquan Bay was typical rockly coast in Qingdao.Their beaches are relatively narrow and the coastline accounts for 60% of the entire coastline.There are many raised large reefs on the platform.When the flood tides,there will be a wide erosion on the platform.At the same time there are many aquatic animals and plants on the shore.This aquatic animals and plants will stop on the gap of reef rock.
The analysis of the location and surrounding,I found the results.there have a lot of leisure activity place.Settlement and business zone just had a small part on the map.Maybe there didn't in the city center.But there the transport infrastructure is still convenient.And on this location the topography the mainly of mountain and forest.Basic on this topography and coastline in the future.The government will develop ecosystem and culture theme.
The HuiQuan Bay in the surrounding the main green infrastructure was the forest,beach,park,tree allee,reef beach.Through these elements from a special coastline in the city.Due to QingDao was a coastal city there have a lot of hills in the city.On the city development they use these landscape elements to connect the city center.This can creates a unique landscape line.
- You find my background material on green infrastructure in our reading list
- add 1-2 graphical representations to the image gallery, you can add more if you like
Actors and stakeholders
Mostly,now this area facing the problem was overexploitation of tourism,due to the local ecological and historical environment has been destroyed.In the development of tourism this situation,the government is the biggest beneficiary and he has the most rights,because the government has higher economic returns and they have the power to make decision,how to development.On the other hand,the interests of tourists are relatively small,and the interests in historical remains are the most least.Many times the development of tourism has destroyed the local ecology,but the local people they can do just a little bit.For example the former residence transform hostel can earn more money compared with using for museum.
Sacred spaces and heritage
In this coastline there are many meaningful elements.In the map I marked the representative of the three places.On the left side it is museum this is a military remnants site there parking a lot of warship from 90's.Second it is former residence because QingDao was colonial city.So there have a lot of special building from different countries.This buildings in the past use for famous people living or office.Last one it is landmark on the costline.This is the temple in the past this temple used to promote Buddhusim culture.But now there is a good view use to enjoy the coastline.
Visual appearance and landscape narrative
On the landscape narrative,there are many attractive special elements in this landscape.These elements are unique to HuiQuan Bay.For example sea gull,red rock,fishing boat.But the interesting things is when the high tide and low tide here had special view.On the high tide had a lot of aquatic animals and plants into beach.After that on the low tide the animals will stay in the stone seam.At that time have a lot of children went there to catch fish.In China have a lot of artists use this elements to created.
A.2 Summary of you landscape system analysis and your development Targets
- You can summarize your findings with an DPSI(R) Model or a Spider Diagram
- Link back to the Sustainable Development Goals: Which goals are at risk?
- What is your hypothesis for this landscape?
- Visualise your hypothesis with one graphic/pict
- Are there any existing initiatives taking action in this landscape? Do you have a critical perspective on that?
- Add text and visuals
On the system analysis,tourism is the main actor.In the development of tourism can bring high economic benefits.These economic benefits can be used to improve coastal landscape facilities.Such as bench,maintain the environment.Tourism development can provide more employment opportunities.However,on the tourism development had weak point because tourism development will change the land use and will influence the housing price of local.At the same time too many tourists the pollution problem more and more serious.Because it can produce a lot of garbage.Sometime they change the function of historic building. On the hypothesis,before the red reef was around the coastline.But now there just had a small part,because other place they change the structure to developed the tourism.However in the future the government continued to focused develop tourism will be lose red reef.Maybe at the last time red reef just had small part near to museum ,because there was nature park.So the government need to focused red reef problem.
A.3 Theory reflection
- Reflect on at least three international policy documents in relation to their local landscape case
- choose one international, one European and one national document
- You can choose references from our reading list
- Scope: 250 words
- J H Connell, Community Interactions on Marine Rocky Intertidal Shores. 1972. Annual Review of Ecology and Systematic
“Red reef damage situation”http://news.qingdaonews.com/qingdao/2013-05/21/content_9760721.htm
“garbage problem in Huiquan bay”http://www.iqilu.com/html/minsheng/tushuo/2010/0105/158167.html
Phase B: Landscape Evaluation and Assessment
B.1 Assessment Strategy
The overuse and exploitation of land in the landscape ecosystem of Huiquan Bay is a major problem in this coastline. Based on this issue protect the Natural coastline, it is the main purpose. According to the previous analysis, the development of tourism brings considerable economic benefits to the local area, but at the same time, it destroys the local ecological environment.
land use in different period,2008 is the transformation in Qingdao ,the ciy became to develop the tourism industry .The land use also began change. Before vegetation and red rock is the large part on the bank, it can use to defence flooding.But now 2008, the location of these elements become hotel and private beach.
B.3 Problem definition and priority setting
Red rock is the special natural features. The costeline surrounding by rich culture background because this area in the pass was a colony.So this place mix different culture.From this costline have some problem they are from period development , the most serious of problem is the loss of biodiversity.this problem is caused by the development of tourism industry.
B.4 Theory reflection
online resource was limitation about the site and the participation was lack. on the reading, I focused on 3 material. 1. sustainable development - the relationship between marine life and coastline 2. ecosystem service - the ecological value of coastline 3. coastal erosion - coastline development in China
- http://www.geog.com.cn/EN/10.11821/xb199305010# the research of coastal erosion in China
- https://www.un.org/sustainabledevelopment/oceans/ ocean sustainable development
Phase C – Strategy and Master Plan
C.1 Goal Setting
- Define strategic planning objectives based on the evaluation findings
- Link back to your original targets from section one and the Development Goals
- 150 words text contribution
C.2 Spatial Strategy and Transect
- translate your strategic goals into a vision
- develop a spatial translation of your vision
- exemplify your vision in the form of a transect with concrete interventions
- add map(s) and visualizations
- Your case spatial translaton vision.jpg
add caption here
- Your case transect.jpg
add caption here
- Your case transect detail1.jpg
add caption here
- Your case transect detail2.jpg
add caption here
C.3 From Theory of Change to Implementation
- For implementing your vision: Which partnerships are needed? Which governance model is required?
- Who needs to act and how? Draw and explain a change/process model/timeline
- Which resources are needed? On which assets can you build?
- add 150 words text and visuals
- Your case spatial your governance model.jpg
add caption here
- Your case spatial your process model.jpg
add caption here
- give a full list of the references you have used for this section
D. Process Reflection
- Reflect in your intercultural and interdisciplinary team on the outcomes of your study
- Which limitations were you facing?
- What have you learnt from each other?
- What would you do differently next time?
- You can also use diagrams/visuals
- 250 words text